One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wrestling hold in which one arm is passed under the opponent's arm from behind and the hand is applied to the neck (half nelson), or both arms and hands are applied (full nelson).
- ‘And just like anything else associated with takedowns and half nelsons, it walks the thin line between spectator sport and high camp.’
- ‘Holly puts Stamboli in a full nelson and OJ pins Chuck with powerslam.’
- ‘He grabbed a fistful of that lush cashew-colored hair that made Pink Jenny so popular, twisted her arm behind her in a vicious half nelson, and dragged her up to my face.’
- ‘Matt applies a full nelson with body scissors, and we get a speech from Coach and Al about how people might think Matt's not doing anything right now, but he totally is.’
- ‘I got to admit he does make the full nelson look painful on a smaller wrestler.’
- ‘We're not talking high school wrestling here, with full and half nelsons and homoerotic grabbing of crotches.’
- ‘Shane Douglas beat Elix Skipper in 3: 11 via submission with a full nelson.’
- ‘In an early scene which sums up the drama of their relationship, Francene and Bobby are watching ‘Studio Wrestling’ on Channel 11, which inspires Francene to pin her son in a full nelson.’
- ‘Two kids were even caught in a wrestling match with a teacher, trying to take down the man with a series of headlocks and full nelsons.’
- ‘Chris Masters' Masterlock is merely a more powerful variant of the full nelson.’
- ‘She stared as I restrained my two-year-old in something like a half nelson to keep him out of the candy bin.’
- ‘Z reacted quickly to this, he let go of his right arm and brought it around Ursas' right arm, putting Ursa not only in a sleeper, but also in a half nelson.’
- ‘As Thirteen draped his arm over the boards for support, Nick quickly pulled Thirteen back to his feet, nimbly swung around Six-Three's shoulders behind his back, and snapped a tight full nelson on Six-Three's neck.’
- ‘Show had Holly in a full nelson when Mysterio tried to attack Show from behind with a chair, but Show punched the chair into Rey.’
- ‘He paraded them around the Dive Zone, and the argument was settled without the need for invasions or full nelsons.’
- ‘No, Erin prefers to get mean and physical performing a half nelson rather than a plié these days.’
- ‘Now, thanks to Something Weird Video, we can revisit those carefree days of full nelsons and flying drop kicks as the lumpy ladies leap from the top turnbuckle in Wrestling Women, USA.’
- ‘Ronny has Javel in a full nelson as Seth verbally taunts him.’
- ‘Rome, which has many other worries beside the vanity of Smart and Special Americans has pushed, but has never really tried to put them in a full nelson.’
- ‘Ventura, a former pro wrestler, has embraced the sport with a full nelson.’
Late 19th century: apparently from the surname Nelson, but the reference is unknown.
A port in New Zealand, on the north coast of the South Island; population 42,888 (2006). It was founded in 1841 by the New Zealand Company and named after the British admiral Lord Nelson.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.