One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or characterized by a reduction in entropy (and corresponding increase in order).
- ‘The effectiveness of these negentropic processes is further enhanced by most efficient entropy fluxes related to the transpiration and nocturnal respiration of plants.’
- ‘The relationship between life as a continuous negentropic process and the zero entropy of the galaxy can be described with the following diagram.’
- ‘It is a negentropic force that, while not the inverse of entropy, counteracts entropy by generating new states of order and higher complexity in the universe.’
- ‘In the following period of evolution, which can last several hundred or even thousand ka, soils degrade in regard to nutrient supply but species diversity keeps increasing for negentropic reasons.’
- ‘But, in relation to this, I was speaking to Leni, yesterday, and we were talking about the fact, that when people are developing, you have this negentropic growth; but, once you stop, you start to degenerate.’
1950s (as negentropy): from negative + entropic (see entropy).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.