Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of something undesirable) not necessary because avoidable.‘I deplore needless waste’
- ‘Frankly I can't afford to go wasting fifteen quid on something as needless as this.’
- ‘That's what people complain about most in modern theatre, needless violence, nudity, all that.’
- ‘Anything that seeks to undermine rights is a needless compromise and a huge and terminal step backwards.’
- ‘Glasgow compounded their numerous defensive lapses with a host of handling errors and needless turnovers.’
- ‘A feeling of anger followed by concern wells up when we see this or when we read of so many needless deaths of young people.’
- ‘Of course such grief is perfectly understandable, following the loss of loved ones in a needless war far, far away.’
- ‘Until there is a dramatic improvement in the behaviour of all road users, this tragic and needless loss of life will continue.’
- ‘This is our first duty to them and is why we should continue to oppose a Government which is exposing them to such great and needless danger.’
- ‘No week seems complete without some report of the actions of mindless people engaged in needless acts.’
- ‘Have compassion for all beings, causing them no unnecessary hurt, nor needless harm.’
- ‘In time people realized that such actions could trigger needless conflicts among themselves.’
- ‘The other was an annoyance at how much needless work he'd put into most of those stories.’
- ‘He said disputes and votes being called on the order of business were causing needless disruption.’
- ‘Such neatness, such needless destruction of good healthy vegetation, does not fall naturally with me.’
- ‘It cannot be right that we should force people to suffer endless, needless agonies, knowing they will not get better.’
- ‘Please improve the quality of your paper by removing this needless source of controversy from its pages.’
- ‘The Harps looked to have this game in the bag only to nearly throw it away, conceding numerous needless frees.’
- ‘If the installation of safety cameras can cut down on the needless injury and loss of life on our roads then this should be encouraged.’
- ‘There are far too many people using their cars for needless short journeys such as taking their children to school, he says.’
- ‘The second thing that happens with everyone having a point of view is a lot of needless length.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.