One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who annoys or antagonizes another.‘a miserable little needler who can't stand anybody else's happiness’
- ‘People think I'm a great needler, but Jack can do a little needling himself.’
- ‘Fingers was a great needler, and he stayed on the driver the whole time.’
2(in science fiction) a weapon which fires needle-like projectiles.
- ‘The featureless figure pointed with the needler at the two crewmembers still alive and gestured towards hatch leading to the rest of the ship.’
- ‘He heard a woman's defiant shout, followed by the sound of a needler firing.’
- ‘Dual needlers produce a cool effect but it's still no match for a well-thrown plasma grenade.’
- ‘The needlers have returned as well, and while they were significantly weaker in the first Halo, they've become much more effective and damaging in Halo 2.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.