One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Closely stitched embroidery worked over canvas.
- ‘So, that crossed out needlepoint, knitting and embroidery, as well.’
- ‘Winter evenings were spent doing needlepoint and cross-stitch and also having friends over for games of crokinole.’
- ‘In the old house, Judith Collins sits doing needlepoint as young Nora runs up to her with a ball of yarn.’
- ‘Embroidery and needlepoint make great hammocks.’
- ‘Her sitting room with its home-made curtains and baskets of knitting and needlepoint was the warm heart of the house, attracting the others to gather in it.’
- ‘They tend to go for needlepoint and take on really demanding projects.’
- ‘But she did beautiful needlepoint and embroidery when she actually sat down to work on it.’
- ‘Evelyn wiled away her days, performing odd tasks for Mrs. Watts, and practicing her needlepoint with her neighbor, Lindsey, as Lindsey's mother kept a close eye on her clumsy stitching.’
- ‘While other girls my age are learning needlepoint, table manners, and how to win a prince's heart, I learn horseback riding, fencing, and magic spells.’
- ‘But in any case, your man said no more than the obvious when he attacked a section of the Manchester United home support for being a passion-free zone who knew as much about the finer points of the game as Keane does about needlepoint.’
- ‘She had done needlepoint and crocheting before being attracted to beadwork.’
- ‘I'm constantly moving, doing needlepoint or writing.’
- ‘It was Augusta who created the ranch house's Victorian elegance, adding her own fine needlepoint to the furnishings from Chicago, New York, and Europe.’
- ‘Pop-up adverts, the bane of most user's lives, are usually created by The Women's Association in Stockport in needlepoint, and then scanned in.’
- ‘Aunt Lil expressed herself through her needlepoint: she had two cushions on her couch stitched in fine needlepoint.’
- ‘This is a joke I tell in my act, and I can tell by the way you dropped your needlepoint, called your mama, told her the joke, and then pretended you wrote it, that you and I are going to get along swell.’
- ‘I am also interested in cross-stitch and needlepoint and am looking forward to getting to know other community members who are into needlework as well and swapping some fun and interesting tip!’
- ‘The stitchers display dazzling skill and finesse, creating textured surfaces of petit point, needlepoint, beading, embroidery, appliqué, smocking and macramé.’
- ‘The second possible explanation is that these men who talk to Natasha about interior decorating, flower-arranging and needlepoint aren't gay.’
- ‘Then Chaplin plays with our assumptions by assigning the tramp to a cell with an imposing cellmate whom, we learn, is more concerned with needlepoint than bossing the tramp.’
2Lace made by hand using a needle rather than bobbins.openwork, lacework, tatting, netting, net, tulle, meshwork, mesh, webbingView synonyms
Embroider in needlepoint.
- ‘An antique chair that was needlepointed by duPont raised $15,000 at the inaugural Thoroughbred Charities Auction held in the Moelis's living room.’
- ‘Despite all the creative threads being spun, pulling together this site had the potential to be as awkward as needlepointing a three-piece suit.’
- ‘I imagine a sort of holding area for souls, not unlike the D.M.V. My mother, in her surgical gown, needlepointing, waiting for her number to be called.’
- ‘In fact, the idea caught on, and now a group of women on the ship meet regularly in their rooms to knit, crochet or needlepoint.’
- ‘She didn't want to needlepoint to perfection, crochet, dance elegantly, or be treated as a brainless pet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.