One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of long, slender fish with elongated beaklike jaws containing sharply pointed teeth.Also called garfish
- ‘Ubiquitous fusiliers massed by the thousand, with blue triggers, dozens of needlefish and swarms of other smaller reef fish.’
- ‘For example, the long jaws of gar and needlefish arose independently and give these disparate taxa the most velocity specialized mandibles yet measured in fishes.’
- ‘Flyingfishes are nested within halfbeaks, and sauries are nested within needlefishes.’
- ‘As juveniles, these fish compete with needlefishes and small snapper for food.’
- ‘The phylogenetic position of needlefishes relative to halfbeaks fits his prediction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.