One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The author of an obituary notice.
- ‘As class necrologist, you bring deceased classmates’ stories to life by talking with the people who knew them best - family, friends and former College roommates.’
- ‘But this entry, whatever your position on its concluding sentence, summarizes an argument that necrologists of the 19c have advanced - among them Philippe Aries.’
- ‘Comparison of modern and ancient cemeteries clarifies how the people of the ancient world perceived life and death, a subject of interest not only to necrologists.’
- ‘And thanks to the exigencies of the English syllabus I was soon introduced to better verse on this subject than the doggerel of the anonymous necrologist of St Mary's.’
- ‘But for the moment, I am pleased to have been given this chance to contrive my own fable and plead my own case before the necrologists get at me.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.