One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gesture or salute in which the right arm is inclined upwards, with the hand open and palm down.
- ‘To my discerning eye, that looks more like a Nazi salute than a fascist salute (which seems to have a slight curvature of the arm).’
- ‘A self-confessed football hooligan who spent ten days in police cells charged with making Nazi salutes before Leeds United's Champions League match against Munich 1860 said today: ‘I'm totally innocent.’’
- ‘Although the palm of the hand was turned upward, the position was generally interpreted - and denounced - as a Nazi salute.’
- ‘He was not a party member, and declined to give Hitler the Nazi salute, but he enjoyed privileges under Nazism and undoubtedly lent his prestige to the Reich.’
- ‘All Germans young and old, thronged the streets, their arms raised in the Nazi salute to their Fuhrer, their god, Adolf Hitler.’
- ‘He has also been taunted by nationalists giving him Nazi salutes and shouting, Heil Hitler.’
- ‘But Evelyn would take the call-up papers to the German office in Paris, give the Nazi salute and delay proceedings by pretending her students had exams.’
- ‘Even walking home on a Sabbath from the synagogue to my home in the Giffnock area, it's not unusual to get Nazi salutes from passengers in passing cars.’
- ‘Some commentators seemed genuinely amazed to learn that Nazi salutes are occasionally given by a mindless minority who allegedly support the team.’
- ‘This occurred at the same ground where fans with swastika tattoos made Nazi salutes and uttered slurs at black players from the German team Bayer Leverkusen during a Champions League game.’
- ‘I honestly believe that there are some things for which no apology can compensate, and if you can pick one gesture that is never appropriate, it is a Nazi salute and saying Sieg Heil.’
- ‘Inside is a museum with photographs of more recent events in the square: Nazi salutes and a giant portrait of Stalin paraded on a tractor-drawn trailer.’
- ‘He now claims that he has been taunted with Nazi salutes and people shouting Sieg Heil at him in the street.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.