Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in South Asia) a member of an armed revolutionary group advocating Maoist communism.
- ‘In India the Naxalite movement was gaining ardent followers among the young and the educated who dreamt of overthrowing a corrupt and heartless system.’
- ‘Be it a natural calamity or a Naxalite attack, he used to rush even to the remotest corners of the state to personally supervise the relief operations.’
- ‘The Naxalites should lay down arms and join mainstream politics.’
- ‘Posters of Naxalite leaders filled the streets during the recent peace talks between the Andhra Pradesh Government and the Naxalites.’
- ‘A statement from the Central Committee said the Naxalites would not do anything that would violate the ceasefire.’
- ‘For in the dense tropical forests surrounding the region, lurked large numbers of angry young rebels known as Naxalites.’
- ‘The Naxalite threat falls in a different category.’
- ‘Even the extreme radicals, the Maoist Naxalites, did not entirely ignore her.’
- ‘They became members of the Red Brigades, the Stern Gang, the Naxalites, the Shining Path.’
- ‘The horror of the Naxalite movement in the Bengal of the 1970s forms a backdrop to these.’
- ‘His critique of the Naxalite movement in India was published in the News Letter.’
- ‘Hundreds of urban youth left home and their studies to be part of the peasant revolution for the seizure of political power known popularly as the Naxalite movement.’
- ‘In one case a 10-year-old boy, labelled as a dreaded Naxalite, was arrested on an accusation of murder.’
1960s: from Naxal(bari), the name of an area of West Bengal, India, + -ite.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.