One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The activity or profession of designing ships.
- ‘He is president of a consulting engineering firm that provides naval architecture and marine engineering services.’
- ‘Captain John Ericsson, a naval engineer, developed the North's first practical ironclad ships, which fought with great effectiveness and revolutionized naval architecture.’
- ‘He continued his lifelong interest in boat design and naval architecture by renovating the Gemini II.’
- ‘A professor in the department of naval architecture and ocean engineering said the cut will lead to an immense increase in tuition fees.’
- ‘China invented the sternpost rudder, a crucial development in naval architecture, in about 200 b.c.’
- ‘After leaving St Mary's, Martin, now 45, had several labouring jobs before going to university to study naval architecture.’
- ‘During these same centuries, advances in naval architecture and rigging systems enabled ships to sail much closer to the wind.’
- ‘After living in London as a teenager, he returned to Glasgow in 1979, to study naval architecture at Strathclyde University.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.