Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality or state of being natural.‘she demonstrates an ease and naturalness that many actors try hard to project’
unselfconsciousness, lack of affectation, spontaneity, spontaneousness, lack of inhibition, straightforwardness, genuineness, openness, ingenuousness, simplicity, lack of sophistication, unpretentiousness, lack of pretensionView synonyms
- ‘Instead of naturalness and spontaneity we have had thirty odd years of media manipulation.’
- ‘With one exception, they are spoken texts and so have the spontaneity and naturalness that make for pleasurable reading.’
- ‘What charms tourists, however, is its naturalness and simplicity.’
- ‘The outstanding characteristics of furniture during the Ming Dynasty were simplicity and naturalness.’
- ‘The result was a naturalness that is rarely encountered in the opera house.’
- ‘Her jeans, T-shirt and bare feet enhance the air of naturalness.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.