One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the Middle Ages) magic practised for beneficial purposes, involving the making of images, healing, and the use of herbs.
- ‘His interests extended to an enthusiastic study of mathematics, the natural sciences, and studies of alchemy and natural magic.’
- ‘Earth magicians are best at natural magic and healing, and because of that can be very powerful.’
- ‘A true military intellectual, he gave expression to the ideas of the late humanists and was an enthusiastic student of the occult, alchemy, and natural magic.’
- ‘A further derivation from magia was natural magic, the study of nature's most hidden and secret processes.’
- ‘For other 16th and 17th-century authors the camera was merely a curious device for spying on people in the street outside - a trick from the repertoire of natural magic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.