Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Excretion of sodium in the urine.
- ‘In healthy persons, sodium loading increases extracellular fluid volume and EABV, resulting in prompt natriuresis and restoration of normal volumes.’
- ‘A copious natriuresis, or loss of sodium and water, resulted.’
- ‘They reduce sympathetic nervous tone and induce natriuresis by their actions on the renal vasculature and tubules.’
- ‘The use of ACE inhibitors to block the breakdown of bradykinin also promotes vasodilation, natriuresis, and a beneficial effect on cardiac remodeling.’
- ‘Increased natriuresis is the main feature of these peptides, and this could be a mechanism to counteract increasing volume overload and right heart failure.’
- ‘The kallikrein kinin system forms bradykinin, resulting in both natriuresis and vasodilatation, and stimulates the production of prostaglandins’
1950s: from natron + Greek ourēsis urination.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.