Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in South Africa) any of a network of major intercity roads.‘the old national road tells you you are going somewhere important’
street, road, roadway, avenue, boulevard, wayView synonyms
- ‘The deputy director in the Department of Transport warned: ‘We are armed with a programme of roadblocks on all the major national roads.’’
- ‘As I recall, it was introduced by PW Botha to pay for the maintenance and improvement of the national roads network, but was diverted straight into the defence budget.’
- ‘Erecting speed bumps on trunk roads, and even the N2 national road has been no problem for Mthatha, as anyone who drives that way knows too well.’
- ‘The improvements of this section of the N1 will ultimately benefit road users, says a statement by the National Roads Agency, and is an intervention by Sanral to preserve South Africa's national roads.’
- ‘The agency is responsible for the national road network.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.