One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A road forming part of a network of major intercity roads.‘the old national road tells you you are going somewhere important’
street, road, roadway, avenue, boulevard, wayView synonyms
- ‘The improvements of this section of the N1 will ultimately benefit road users, says a statement by the National Roads Agency, and is an intervention by Sanral to preserve South Africa's national roads.’
- ‘The deputy director in the Department of Transport warned: ‘We are armed with a programme of roadblocks on all the major national roads.’’
- ‘The agency is responsible for the national road network.’
- ‘As I recall, it was introduced by PW Botha to pay for the maintenance and improvement of the national roads network, but was diverted straight into the defence budget.’
- ‘Erecting speed bumps on trunk roads, and even the N2 national road has been no problem for Mthatha, as anyone who drives that way knows too well.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.