(in South Africa) any of a network of major intercity roads.‘the old national road tells you you are going somewhere important’
street, road, roadway, avenue, boulevard, wayView synonyms
- ‘The agency is responsible for the national road network.’
- ‘The improvements of this section of the N1 will ultimately benefit road users, says a statement by the National Roads Agency, and is an intervention by Sanral to preserve South Africa's national roads.’
- ‘Erecting speed bumps on trunk roads, and even the N2 national road has been no problem for Mthatha, as anyone who drives that way knows too well.’
- ‘The deputy director in the Department of Transport warned: ‘We are armed with a programme of roadblocks on all the major national roads.’’
- ‘As I recall, it was introduced by PW Botha to pay for the maintenance and improvement of the national roads network, but was diverted straight into the defence budget.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.