One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A minority group within a country felt to be distinct from the majority because of historical differences of language, religion, culture, etc.
- ‘His alternative was not the assimilation of Russia's national minorities into the ‘dominant culture’ of the Russian majority.’
- ‘Indeed, far from opposing liberal principles, public opinion polls show there are often no statistical differences between national minorities and majorities in their adherence to liberal principles.’
- ‘To win this battle activists have to find concrete ways of linking the struggles of students, women and national minorities with those of workers.’
- ‘Amongst these are those with a poor education, young women, those living in remote and rural areas, and members of ethnic and national minorities.’
- ‘Instead of breaking the power of the clergy and the landowners and liberating the religious and national minorities, they relied on oppression and chauvinism.’
- ‘For the purposes of this article, we will focus on the two most common types of ethnic groups: immigrants and national minorities.’
- ‘This backing was motivated partly by the recognition that old and new rights shared hostility to feminism, socialism, and national minorities.’
- ‘Despite this, the Québécois nation has welcomed and continues to welcome a high proportion of Canada's national minorities and immigrants.’
- ‘He is also chairman of the governing board of the Stockholm Peace Conference and OSCE high commissioner on national minorities.’
- ‘One powerful obstacle to national integration was the existence of national minorities within states.’
- ‘In Turkey there were no minorities or national minorities… and there were no constitutional or legislative provisions allowing distinctions to be made between citizens.’
- ‘Federalism is viewed as an institutional arrangement for the protection of ethnic or other national minorities.’
- ‘Many of these contradictions were not resolved - indeed, the creation of new nation-states created new national minorities.’
- ‘Article 1 declares that the protection of national minorities and minority rights form an integral part of the international protection of human rights.’
- ‘At the time of the Revolution, many of the languages of the national minorities lacked written forms.’
- ‘Before the Russian Revolution, for example, Lenin argued for the defence of religious and national minorities, and students facing police repression.’
- ‘But there are many nations that have national minorities and they are democratic in the full sense of the word.’
- ‘Both immigrant groups and national minorities are, in different ways, seeking legal recognition of their ethnocultural identities and practices.’
- ‘Lenin's policy was aimed at overcoming the animosities created by tsarist oppression and combatting the influence of bourgeois leaders among the national minorities.’
- ‘Citizenship, which differentiates the colonized from national minorities, allows minorities to change culturally and assimilate individually into the dominant culture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.