One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A nationally recognized day when most businesses and other institutions are closed.‘the share markets were closed for a national holiday’
- ‘The president officially proclaimed the second Sunday of May as a national holiday to honor mothers.’
- ‘Moroccans celebrate a number of national holidays and festivals each year.’
- ‘He goes on to call for St. George's Day to be made a national holiday in England in order to reconnect the nation with its history.’
- ‘As a result of a national holiday in Portugal on May 1st, normal postal services will resume on May 5th.’
- ‘After the war, 28th October was declared a national holiday.’
- ‘Christmas and Easter are important national holidays, and are widely celebrated.’
- ‘The Greek Easter is the biggest national holiday and explodes with fireworks and feasting.’
- ‘Sundays and observed national holidays are often spent with relatives and friends.’
- ‘With Friday declared a national holiday for the funeral, shops, local and international schools, banks and even the busy stock exchange were shut.’
- ‘The date on which Qatar received independence from Great Britain in 1971 is celebrated as a national holiday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.