One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a North American people of Rhode Island.
- ‘It's a word meaning boiled corn, taken from the Narragansett Indians in Rhode Island.’
- ‘A violent confrontation between Rhode Island State troopers and members of the Narragansett Indian tribe.’
- ‘In March, the western Indians began negotiating for peace while the Wampanoags and Narragansetts returned to their homelands in search of food.’
- ‘Later, during King Philip's War, the colonists battled the Narragansetts with the aid of Mohegan fighters.’
- ‘This New England minister's wife was captured by Narragansetts in 1676 and held for eleven weeks before she was ransomed, later publishing an account of her experiences.’
2mass noun The Algonquian language of the Narragansett.
Relating to the Narragansett or their language.
The name in Narragansett, literally ‘people of the promontory’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.