Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for bulb fly
- ‘The larvae of narcissus flies, which resemble maggots, commonly affect narcissus and hyacinth bulbs.’
- ‘First of all, it should be noted that you won't find narcissus flies in the average household.’
- ‘If it is narcissus fly attack, the bulb will be slimy and these should be thrown away.’
- ‘Hoe regularly around the plants to kill any larvae, and to make sure there are no large cracks in the soil around the bulbs down which the adult narcissus flies can crawl.’
- ‘Characteristic of the large narcissus fly is that the damage caused is not clearly visible from the outside.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.