One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Very small unicellular plankton, at the limits of resolution of light microscopy.
- ‘Calcareous nannoplankton, although stimulated toward diversification, was obviously less efficient in calcification.’
- ‘Various other occurrences of calcareous nannoplankton, dinocysts and mammals help to correlate relevant units in the three NW European basins.’
- ‘There is arguably evidence for the occurrence of calcareous nannoplankton in the Mochras core.’
- ‘Calcareous nannoplankton is proven to react significantly to changes in environmental conditions, such as surface water temperature, nutrient availability and/or salinity.’
- ‘They represent all abundant phyla in the collections, except calcareous nannoplankton.’
- ‘The succession was sampled for biostratigraphic analysis using foraminifera and nannoplankton.’
Early 20th century: from German, from Greek nanos ‘dwarf’ + plankton.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.