Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The redfish of Australia.→ redfish
- ‘In Australia redfish has become the official name of the nannygai.’
- ‘There are times when the wreckage is obscured by thousands of schooling fish, like nannygai, yellowtail and pike.’
- ‘Further west there are thousands of small nannygais in between the rocks just off the reef.’
- ‘The deeper water has seen small-mouth and large-mouth nannygai in good numbers and of good quality.’
- ‘Reef Fishing: offshore small and large mouth nannygai are prolific in the deeper waters.’
Late 19th century: from a New South Wales Aboriginal language.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.