One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The redfish of Australia.
Centroberyx affinis, family Berycidae
- ‘Further west there are thousands of small nannygais in between the rocks just off the reef.’
- ‘Reef Fishing: offshore small and large mouth nannygai are prolific in the deeper waters.’
- ‘In Australia redfish has become the official name of the nannygai.’
- ‘There are times when the wreckage is obscured by thousands of schooling fish, like nannygai, yellowtail and pike.’
- ‘The deeper water has seen small-mouth and large-mouth nannygai in good numbers and of good quality.’
Late 19th century: from a New South Wales Aboriginal language.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.