One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An anabolic steroid with tissue-building properties, used unlawfully to enhance performance in sport.
- ‘In the latter study, nandrolone decanoate induced small but significant increases in hemoglobin content.’
- ‘This is usually linked to performance enhancing drugs such as nandrolone and THG (tetrohydrogestinone).’
- ‘The most common performance-enhancing drug used by footballers in recent years has been nandrolone.’
- ‘Another trial found that although T and nandrolone increased muscle strength, only T increased bone mineral density.’
- ‘Beginning two years ago there was a sudden increase in elite athletes testing positive for metabolites of the steroid nandrolone.’
- ‘The most widely used anabolic steroid, nandrolone derives from the male hormone testosterone.’
- ‘He was confirmed this week to have failed a drug test for the anabolic steroid, nandrolone, and must now serve out what remains of his two-year ban.’
- ‘Athletes claimed they had unknowingly ingested nandrolone in health and food supplements many take to boost performance.’
- ‘Suspect sporting steroids include nandrolone and can be detected in blood and hair.’
- ‘Her promising career was overshadowed by the doping scandal, when she was accused of taking a derivative of the steroid nandrolone.’
- ‘This from a man who was banned for testing positive for the performance-enhancing substance nandrolone.’
- ‘The final issue over drug taking in sport is that of nandrolone, which has recently seen a number of players banned.’
- ‘The lab offers a package of tests for the most commonly abused steroids, like nandrolone and stanozolol.’
- ‘A recent UK Sport investigation revealed there were more positive tests for nandrolone in rugby league over the past year than in the rest of British sport combined.’
- ‘They have been encouraged by reports that a German professor had established a link between rogue elements in dietary supplements and positive tests for nandrolone.’
- ‘Last October the Olympic Committee said he had tested positive for norandrosterone, a byproduct of the anabolic steroid nandrolone, and banned him for four months.’
- ‘Both the A-sample as well as the requested test of the B-sample confirmed the presence of the metabolite norandrosterone of the anabolic steroid nandrolone.’
- ‘Low levels of the banned performance-enhancing drug nandrolone were detected in the eight players' samples last year.’
- ‘Closely related structurally to testosterone, nandrolone is an anabolic steroid, the provenance and purpose of which remain steeped in mystery even now.’
1950s: shortened form of its chemical name norandrostenolone.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.