One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A traditional African folk tale about Anancy the spider, who overcomes others by cunning.
- ‘Only Mike and nancy stories are consistently worth watching for.’
- ‘So for me, nancy stories have always had a humorous air of winking at the audience, as though the storyteller's saying, ‘we all know people like this, but let's not name any names.’’
- 1.1 An elaborate evasive story or lie.‘the minister had left the country and so could not give his side of the nancy story’
lie, fib, falsehood, untruth, fabrication, fiction, piece of fictionView synonyms
- ‘‘I do not find it strange that he and his kind will seek to create his own nancy stories.’’
- 1.2 A superstitious belief.‘God is a nancy story, you hear’
Nancy, shortening of Anancy, from Akan ananse ‘spider’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.