One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic drug, similar to morphine, which blocks opiate receptors in the nervous system.
- ‘Moreover, several studies reported that precipitating withdrawal in opiate-dependent animals by an injection of the opiate antagonist, naloxone, increases morphine self-administration.’
- ‘She was given intravenous naloxone for suspected opiate induced hypoventilation, but her condition was unchanged.’
- ‘In these patients, itch can be debilitating, and treatment with opioid antagonists such as naloxone or naltrexone is recommended.’
- ‘Drugs such as the opioid antagonist naloxone and the benzodiazepine antagonist flumazenil may be used to counter the respiratory depressive effects of these drugs.’
- ‘Antagonist drugs such as naloxone can block the actions of opioid agonists.’
1960s: contraction of N-allylnoroxymorphone.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.