One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strip of roughened metal or an emery board used for smoothing and shaping the fingernails and toenails.
- ‘Putting the nail file down on the desk the young lady looked up.’
- ‘‘Applying is not the same as getting in,’ she says while filing her nails with my nail file, which I myself never use.’
- ‘The girls' version adds a nail file, moisturiser, cotton buds and pads, and eye make-up remover, while the boys get a disposable razor, shaving cream, aftershave and hair gel.’
- ‘I packed clothes, underwear, make up, pictures, books, her toothbrush and other toiletries, but paused when about to put in her nail file.’
- ‘It's not like boarding a plane where we expect to queue for hours in advance and have all our darkest recesses searched lest we have even a nail file stashed away somewhere.’
- ‘A multi-purpose tool, a pair of scissors, razor blades and a large metal nail file were among the items which she intentionally smuggled on board a commercial flight.’
- ‘She shrugged and sat down on her couch with a nail file.’
- ‘Airports have brought in increasingly stringent security checks, and are confiscating everything from nail files and bottle openers to knitting needles and knives.’
- ‘Before bathing file top of nails with a regular nail file to reduce thickness.’
- ‘Recently I spoke to a woman who had a nail file confiscated.’
- ‘She supposed she could have used a nail file, when it came down to it.’
- ‘There, she stuck her hand underneath the table and felt around until she found her ‘tools’, which consisted of a small metal tray and a nail file.’
- ‘Just as Jessica sat down on the edge of her bed and picked up the nail file there was a bang on her door.’
- ‘The nail file on these clippers is about two inches long - if that - and incredibly flimsy.’
- ‘Her fingers found the sharp nail file she kept in her pocket.’
- ‘Make sure that all dirt trapped under the toenails are thoroughly removed using the tip of the nail file.’
- ‘Anything small and flat like a nail file would open them in a second.’
- ‘The receptionist grudgingly put down her nail file to check the computer for her file.’
- ‘Other items confiscated prior to boarding include scissors, nail files, clippers and pen knives.’
- ‘She held her breath as he reached into her handbag, sifting through the contents and removing a nail file.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.