One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strip of roughened metal or an emery board used for smoothing and shaping the fingernails and toenails.
- ‘Recently I spoke to a woman who had a nail file confiscated.’
- ‘The receptionist grudgingly put down her nail file to check the computer for her file.’
- ‘Other items confiscated prior to boarding include scissors, nail files, clippers and pen knives.’
- ‘Anything small and flat like a nail file would open them in a second.’
- ‘Just as Jessica sat down on the edge of her bed and picked up the nail file there was a bang on her door.’
- ‘She supposed she could have used a nail file, when it came down to it.’
- ‘The nail file on these clippers is about two inches long - if that - and incredibly flimsy.’
- ‘Putting the nail file down on the desk the young lady looked up.’
- ‘Her fingers found the sharp nail file she kept in her pocket.’
- ‘The girls' version adds a nail file, moisturiser, cotton buds and pads, and eye make-up remover, while the boys get a disposable razor, shaving cream, aftershave and hair gel.’
- ‘Make sure that all dirt trapped under the toenails are thoroughly removed using the tip of the nail file.’
- ‘‘Applying is not the same as getting in,’ she says while filing her nails with my nail file, which I myself never use.’
- ‘Airports have brought in increasingly stringent security checks, and are confiscating everything from nail files and bottle openers to knitting needles and knives.’
- ‘There, she stuck her hand underneath the table and felt around until she found her ‘tools’, which consisted of a small metal tray and a nail file.’
- ‘Before bathing file top of nails with a regular nail file to reduce thickness.’
- ‘It's not like boarding a plane where we expect to queue for hours in advance and have all our darkest recesses searched lest we have even a nail file stashed away somewhere.’
- ‘She shrugged and sat down on her couch with a nail file.’
- ‘She held her breath as he reached into her handbag, sifting through the contents and removing a nail file.’
- ‘A multi-purpose tool, a pair of scissors, razor blades and a large metal nail file were among the items which she intentionally smuggled on board a commercial flight.’
- ‘I packed clothes, underwear, make up, pictures, books, her toothbrush and other toiletries, but paused when about to put in her nail file.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.