One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A disease of cattle, antelope, and other livestock in southern Africa, characterized by fever, lethargy, and oedema, and caused by trypanosome parasites transmitted by the tsetse fly.
- ‘Tsetse flies that infect cattle with nagana (animal trypanosomosis) have been ‘all but eradicated from Zimbabwe's farming areas’ he says.’
- ‘Here's an interesting strategy to control and eradicate sleeping sickness and nagana.’
- ‘Trypanosomiasis, also locally known as nagana, threatens some 50 million cattle in Africa, according to a recent report by FAO.’
- ‘The tsetse fly carries the trypanosome parasite, which causes sleeping sickness in humans and nagana in livestock.’
- ‘Further north the scourge of tsetse fly, vector of the disease nagana, limited the use of cattle as draught.’
Late 19th century: from Zulu nakane.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.