One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A birthmark or a mole on the skin, especially a birthmark in the form of a raised red patch.
stain, mark, patch, soiling, streak, spot, blotch, tarnishingView synonyms
- ‘However, when performing any part of the physical examination, family physicians should be alert for suspicious nevi.’
- ‘Treatment required removing the nevus and resurfacing the child's body with skin grafts.’
- ‘A 51-year-old white female was evaluated for multiple nevi.’
- ‘On physical examination, no clinically atypical or suspicious nevi were observed on the skin or scalp.’
- ‘I was born in the United States in 1955 and by the age of 4 months had developed a strawberry naevus on my neck.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.