One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Swelling of the skin and underlying tissues giving a waxy consistency, typical of patients with underactive thyroid glands.
- ‘He supports this with reference to a retrospective analysis of the records of 50 patients with myxoedema.’
- ‘The presence of goiter, coarse hair, dry skin, carotenemia, and myxedema indicates hypothyroidism.’
- ‘I changed my hairdresser but the possibility of myxoedema did not enter my head.’
- ‘Patients with myxedema present with rough skin of the palms, soles, elbows and knees, and yellow-orange discoloration of the skin, along with other signs of hypothyroidism.’
- ‘The differential diagnosis includes venous stasis dermatitis, pretibial myxedema, filariasis, and ichthyosis.’
- 1.1 The more general condition associated with hypothyroidism, including weight gain, mental dullness, and sensitivity to cold.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.