Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A religion centred on secret or mystical rites for initiates, especially any of a number of cults popular during the late Roman Empire.
- ‘Dyed eggs also formed part of the rituals of the Babylonian mystery religions.’
- ‘The result is a Celtic Christian mystery religion which centres on the grail as a mystic experience.’
- ‘And it kind of evolved into a mystery religion.’
- ‘This is most notable in the area of religion, with the advent of various mystery religions, but the Egyptians especially had a strong effect on Greek philosophy and science.’
- ‘This is the teaching of eastern mystery religions and is spelled out in the Egyptian book of the dead and other occult religions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.