A religion centred on secret or mystical rites for initiates, especially any of a number of cults popular during the late Roman Empire.
- ‘Dyed eggs also formed part of the rituals of the Babylonian mystery religions.’
- ‘The result is a Celtic Christian mystery religion which centres on the grail as a mystic experience.’
- ‘And it kind of evolved into a mystery religion.’
- ‘This is most notable in the area of religion, with the advent of various mystery religions, but the Egyptians especially had a strong effect on Greek philosophy and science.’
- ‘This is the teaching of eastern mystery religions and is spelled out in the Egyptian book of the dead and other occult religions.’