One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting plants of the myrtle family ("Myrtaceae" ).
- ‘Three additional myrtaceous species have been proposed as declared plants, but more information is required before they can be listed.’
- ‘The myrtaceous tree Metrosideros polymorpha dominates all sites.’
- ‘It was characterized by a mosaic of areas dominated by bamboo and areas dominated by myrtaceous tree saplings.’
- ‘It has been reported to attack the fruits of various native and introduced species of plants, but especially guavas and other myrtaceous fruits.’
- ‘If it isn't, I'm sure he could provide scionwood of a better clone - but grafting myrtaceous plants is no cakewalk!’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin Myrtaceae (plural), from the genus name Myrtus (see myrtle), + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.