Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Surgical incision into the eardrum, to relieve pressure or drain fluid.
- ‘The surgical procedures were adenoidectomy, myringotomy, and tympanoplasty.’
- ‘If fluid was apparent, myringotomy was performed, and the fluid was sent for culture.’
- ‘A myringotomy drains the fluids and prevents the build up of fluids in the future.’
- ‘However, this resolution frequently required myringotomy or followed spontaneous perforation of the tympanic membrane.’
- ‘If effusion was still found two weeks later, myringotomy was performed.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin myringa eardrum + -tomy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.