One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The dorsal part of each somite in a vertebrate embryo, giving rise to the skeletal musculature.
- ‘These tissues are composites of lateral plate derived connective tissues and the migratory population of the myotome.’
- ‘Each somite pair corresponds to a myotome in vertebrates or to an adult segment in annelids and arthropods.’
- ‘Third, the partitioning of different fiber types within the myotome allows homogenous samples of each fiber type to be easily removed and tested in vitro.’
- 1.1 Each of the muscle blocks along either side of the spine in vertebrates (especially fish and amphibians).Also called myomere
- ‘All these muscles belong to the fifth cervical to first thoracic myotomes.’
- ‘In vertebrates finally, the organization of muscles into myotomes for swimming has long been considered of crucial adaptative importance.’
- ‘The muscles of the body are segmented into blocks called myotomes.’
- ‘In addition, the entire muscle is rarely active simultaneously, and positive work is done in some portions of the myotome and negative work in others.’
- ‘The anatomy of ray-finned fish shows many of the characteristics common to all chordates: pharyngeal slits, a nerve cord, and body wall muscles arranged in myotomes, or segmented blocks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.