One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation and degeneration of muscle tissue.
- ‘Rule out other causes such as claudication, disk disease, hypothyroidism, and myositis.’
- ‘He is diagnosed with inclusion body myositis, a degenerative muscle disease that slowly destroys muscle mass.’
- ‘A possible related injury is a torn brachialis muscle with associated myositis.’
- ‘Progressive pulmonary fibrosis occurs in 10 percent of patients and, along with myositis of the respiratory muscles, may lead to hypoxemia.’
- ‘Imagine if people taking the pill have higher rates of hepatitis, bleeding ulcers, myositis (muscle inflammation), bradycardia, and acute renal failure all at the same time.’
Early 19th century: formed irregularly from Greek mus, mu- ‘muscle’ + -itis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.