Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The quality of being short-sighted.‘he wore spectacles to correct a mild degree of myopia’
narrow-mindedness, blinkered approach, blinkered attitude, parochialism, provincialism, localism, narrowness, small-mindedness, pettiness, short-sightedness, myopia, inflexibility, dogmatism, illiberality, intolerance, prejudice, bigotry, bias, partisanship, sectarianism, xenophobia, discriminationView synonyms
- ‘And so we found an association between this opacity at the back of the lens and short-sightedness, or myopia.’
- ‘Astigmatism may occur with myopia or hyperopia.’
- ‘Apart from testing the eye, they supply booklets detailing eye care with particular reference to refractive errors such as myopia, hypermetropia and astigmatism.’
- ‘The medical name for short-sightedness is myopia.’
- ‘The Romans considered myopia a permanent defect that reduced the market value of a slave.’
- 1.1Lack of foresight or intellectual insight.‘the company's corporate myopia’
- ‘The result is a sort of national and cultural myopia.’
- ‘The difference between political and religious leadership has blurred due to which the nation as a whole is affected gravely by myopia.’
- ‘It reeks of the typical psychology and myopia of the supposed intellectually and militarily powerful.’
- ‘And while intellectual hyperopia gets in the way of first class, specialised academic work, intellectual myopia is a more pernicious and widespread affliction of intellectual life today.’
- ‘The Register reports another example of corporate myopia.’
Early 18th century: modern Latin, from late Greek muōpia, from Greek muōps (see myope).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.