[mass noun] The smooth muscle tissue of the uterus.
- ‘The myometrium is a thick coat containing smooth muscle and abundant connective tissues.’
- ‘Lesions have been found restricted to the serosa, myometrium, endometrium, and combinations thereof, as well as transmural.’
- ‘Contraction may be sustained, as in the smooth muscle cells present in the blood vessels or airways, or rhythmic, as in the cells of the myometrium and gastrointestinal tract.’
- ‘A prominent smooth muscle component, reminiscent of uterine wall myometrium, accounted for most of the cyst wall.’
- ‘Both types of molar pregnancies can become invasive and involve the adjacent myometrium and/or the blood vessels.’
Early 20th century: modern Latin, from myo- muscle + Greek mētra womb.