Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the elongated contractile threads found in striated muscle cells.
- ‘Individual muscle cells are extremely elongated and enclose many-stranded cables woven from threads called myofibrils.’
- ‘Inside the fibre are the myofibrils, which constitute the contractile apparatus, and a system for controlling the myofibrils through changes in calcium concentration.’
- ‘The number of myofibrils within the enlarged muscle fiber can increase more than 10-fold.’
- ‘In cross section, skeletal muscle fibers are seen to be composed of numerous small aggregates of contractile substance, the myofibrils.’
- ‘Briefly, the cardiac myofibrils are composed of the major contractile proteins, actin and myosin.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.