One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Asian and Australasian starling that typically has dark plumage, gregarious behaviour, and a loud call.
- ‘Despite my positive emotional response to talking animals, I've never taught an animal to speak, not even a parrot or a mynah.’
- ‘We could observe a couple of endangered hill mynas among other species.’
- ‘Soil can be seeded within monoculture grass, or trees can be planted widely apart so that they do not become roosts for mynas and starlings.’
- ‘There are even a few rare records of mynas attacking people.’
- ‘Sparrows, starlings, Indian mynahs and feral pigeons rarely visit Australian gardens, which welcome an array of colourful native birds.’
Mid 18th century: from Hindi mainā.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.