Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large spider of a group that includes the tarantulas, trapdoor spiders, and funnel-web spiders. Mygalomorphs have several primitive features, including fangs that stab downwards rather than towards one another.
- ‘These spiders are easily distinguished from the mygalomorphs because they move their jaws sideways, like a pair of pliers.’
- ‘To imitate a mygalomorph, put your index and middle fingers in front of your mouth and move them up and down.’
- ‘Female tarantulas like other mygalomorphs are able to moult after reaching maturity.’
- ‘Previously, the earliest known mygalomorphs, described in 1990, were about 100 million years old.’
- ‘All mygalomorphs have two pairs of ventral booklungs that operate on the principle of infusion rather than the more efficient system of inhalation.’
1920s: from modern Latin Mygalomorphae, from Greek mugalē shrew + morphē form.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.