Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of small typically parasitic bacteria that lack cell walls and sometimes cause diseases.
- ‘All microbes, be it viruses, bacteria, mycoplasma, fungi or parasites interfere in research.’
- ‘The mycoplasmas are extra cellular parasites usually attached to the external surface of cells, but can also penetrate these.’
- ‘Results of blood, urine, and bronchoalveolar lavage cultures were negative, as well as serology for legionella and mycoplasma.’
- ‘The cell cultures were routinely checked for mycoplasma and were found to be free of contamination.’
- ‘The antibiotics must be able to penetrate cell walls, as the mycoplasma are hidden inside cells.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.