One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman's loose, brightly coloured dress, especially one traditionally worn in Hawaii.
cloak, wrap, mantle, cape, kaftanView synonyms
- ‘Try to keep to your typical style of dress, but only slightly flowier - we are not talking caftans or muumuus!’
- ‘Some Hawaiian women wear the muumuu, a voluminous dress originally designed by modest missionaries for Hawaiian women.’
- ‘She wore tons of jewelry and her muumuu was the brightest shade of green that Abbey had ever seen.’
- ‘She was wearing a bright green muumuu with large orange flowers printed on it.’
- ‘The younger women also wore shorts, jeans and T-shirts, and the mature ladies colorful muumuus.’
Early 20th century: from Hawaiian mu'u mu'u, literally ‘cut off’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.