One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in betting) a totalizator or a pari-mutuel.
- ‘His father, George, was manager of mutuels from 1954 to '84.’
- ‘The Henderson University graduate has served as mutuel manager and simulcasting operations manager at Hoosier Park, Indiana's first racetrack, and assistant manager of mutuels at Churchill Downs.’
- ‘When a horse runs a lifetime best four-furlong number accompanied by a final number below his best, an improvement in the final number is likely in the near future, often at a generous mutuel.’
- ‘It was originally scheduled for August 5 but was changed to August 6 to take advantage of the NTRA's $1-million mystery mutuel.’
- ‘Her niece sits on the board of directors at Rockingham Park and is the director of mutuels at the track in Salem, New Hampshire.’
- ‘He previously worked as director of mutuels and simulcasting at Sam Houston Park and director of operations at Louisiana Downs.’
- ‘He has more than 30 years of experience in the pari-mutuel industry and was director of mutuels at Hialeah Park from 1974 through 2001.’
- ‘Mahony began his career in 1966 when he worked in mutuels for Monmouth Park, Garden State Park, and Atlantic City Race Course in New Jersey.’
Early 20th century: shortening of pari-mutuel.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.