Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The production of an electromotive force in a circuit by a change in the current in an adjacent circuit which is linked to the first by the flux lines of a magnetic field.
- ‘Among his discoveries in electro magnetism were mutual induction, self-induction, the electro magnetic relay and the concept of the electric transformer.’
- ‘Alongside induction caused by string vibrations or a similar mechanical motion, there also exists the phenomenon of mutual induction.’
- ‘If we start from the point of mutual induction instead of energy level of electrons, can we arrive at the same conclusion?’
- ‘In eddy current inspection, the eddy currents are generated in the test material due to mutual induction.’
- ‘An example of mutual induction is pictured in figure 112.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.