Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A dog, especially a mongrel.‘a long-haired mutt of doubtful pedigree’
mongrel, hound, dog, cur, tykeView synonyms
- ‘I stuffed the mite-sized mutt - such a small dog, really - into my grocery basket and pedaled back to the farm.’
- ‘I think we'll probably take another look at some purebred options, but I'm also going to try to reintroduce the idea of a rescue dog or a mutt from a shelter.’
- ‘So they opened up the event to mutts and mongrels too, with categories like Most Appealing Eyes.’
- ‘The dog's deep brown eyes examined the mutt for a moment.’
- ‘This is like taking a pure breed dog and intentionally cross breeding with a mutt.’
- ‘Most dog breeds are highly inbred and therefore the level of homogeneity is greater in purebred dogs than in mutts.’
- ‘Like a mutt from the dog pound, she had a hodgepodge pedigree that underwhelmed.’
- ‘His face was turning redder by the minute, and he yelled, ‘The stupid mutt peed on me!’’
- ‘Gourmet dog food will transform your cantankerous mutt into an obedient show dog.’
- ‘It's a shame that not everyone has a dog, whether a mutt or a pedigree.’
- ‘Other dogs sit tethered to benches, and occasionally woof at competing mutts, but Jasper whines and barks the entire time.’
- ‘Penny normally gets her run of the yard while the other three mutts stay in the pen (because they attack her).’
- ‘The dog was a mutt that looked like a cross between a sheepdog and a poodle.’
- ‘We took her home and introduced her to our other dog, Pam, the mutt, affectionately named by me in honor of my mom's best friend.’
- ‘Her attack dog is a mutt, and, as everyone knows, mongrels are healthier than pedigreed dogs.’
- ‘The offspring of a mating between two purebred dogs of different breeds is a mongrel, a mutt.’
- ‘Many of these dogs are mutts and shelter dogs whom people gave up on, and were rescued themselves.’
- ‘Landing a one-night contract for $10, the pair quickly acquired two stray mutts.’
- ‘Your brand of beer, the artwork on your walls, your choice of dog - a pure-bred poodle as opposed to a mutt - are all potential status details.’
- ‘He's done a whole lot of paintings of pooches - yappy dogs, poodles, some mutts and a few bulldogs.’
2A stupid or incompetent person.‘he pitied the poor mutt who ever fell for her charms’
fool, idiot, dolt, ass, nincompoop, blockhead, dunce, dunderhead, simpleton, ignoramus, donkey, jackass, dullardView synonyms
- ‘And if he says yes to you, what does he say to every other mutt who ever wanted a place to call his own?’
- ‘When Malcolm came to town, though, all but the stupidest mutts decided it was time for a vacation.’
- ‘I'm not as stupid as you mutts in this alley make me out to be.’
- ‘You'll remember the rather dubious story that these two mutts spent $8,000 on drinks.’
- ‘Whether that same approach - giving the journalistic mutts as little to chew on as possible - will work in the general election campaign is another story.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation of muttonhead.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.