Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounSouth African
1Traditional African medicine or magical charms.
black magic, sorcery, magic, witchcraft, wizardry, necromancy, enchantment, spellworking, incantation, the supernatural, occultism, the occult, the black arts, divination, malediction, voodoo, hoodoo, sympathetic magic, witching, witcheryView synonyms
- ‘One South African newspaper has even used muti to attempt to counter low staff morale and flagging circulation.’
- ‘Poisoning of vultures for muti, as traditional medicines are called, has been going on for many years, he said.’
- ‘Although police have not confirmed that the killing was connected to muti, which just means medicine, the incident has had traditional healers scrambling to denounce the practice.’
- ‘That was until members of the African community in London called in to ask the officers if they had heard of muti.’
- ‘They met the village ‘sangoma’ who fascinated the visitors with her mysterious luck muti, which he suggested the team used before tomorrow's Test.’
- 1.1informal Medicine of any kind.
- ‘Firstly, clinicians must be trained to obtain the first available urine specimen from a suspected case of poisoning and to collect also any available muti which has been taken.’
- ‘The pharmacist gave me a special muti for this.’
- ‘Once the muti is obtained, it can be taken in various ways, depending on its form and nature.’
- ‘Are we all expected to revert to traditional healers for our muti?’
- ‘Brian, an epileptic who kept it under control provided he took his muti, left the Dispatch after a few more years and sadly died some time later when he suffered a serious fit.’
From Zulu umuthi ‘plant or medicine’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.