One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device on a telephone that the caller can press to prevent themselves from being heard by the person to whom they are speaking.
- ‘She grabbed the remote for the television and pressed the mute button, then she ushered for me to sit on the carpet at her feet.’
- ‘Both share features you'd expect from a speakerphone: the ability to preprogram frequently called numbers, volume controls, a call timer, and a mute button.’
- ‘The dealer had to quickly press the mute button on his phone so the customer couldn't hear his roars of laughter.’
- ‘Just get the mute button ready when it gets on your nerves.’
- ‘I clicked the mute button and just watched their mouths go up and down.’
- ‘Yawning, Seth grabbed the remote and pressed the mute button.’
- ‘He flips on the TV as soon as he gets home, turns to channel 26 and hits the mute button.’
- ‘There is a mute button for suspending and resuming audio transmission.’
- ‘My finger barely made it to the mute button before I burst out laughing.’
- ‘Simple townsfolk are just as bad, and there will be a few moments where you'll want to reach for the mute button rather than hear their dialogue.’
- ‘Rachel is still listening on the phone; she simply hits the mute button, but doesn't put the phone down.’
- ‘Finally breaking free, she hit the mute button on her TV and lifted her phone to receive Tamara's number.’
- ‘The headset and base station feature volume and mute buttons and on-line indicators.’
- ‘Finally, I hit the mute button and roll the dice.’
- ‘I usually wince every time I have to listen to it, and if I'm listening to it on TV I always fumble for the mute button.’
- ‘It was like the child had a mute button and someone suddenly pressed it.’
- ‘It was like someone had hit the mute button to the TV.’
- ‘He flips the mute button off and goes back to his conversation.’
- ‘I hit the mute button, and start to laugh in disbelief.’
- ‘She inched again towards the television and pressed the mute button.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.