One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large pike that occurs only in the Great Lakes region of North America.Also called maskinonge
- ‘Their close relative, the muskellunge, have scales covering only the upper half of their cheek and gill covers.’
- ‘Predatory fish in the ecozone include the lake sturgeon, brook trout, lake trout, northern pike, muskellunge, largemouth bass, sauger, and walleye.’
- ‘A tiger muskie is a hybrid between a muskellunge and a northern pike.’
- ‘Of the six types of pike found, only northern pike and muskellunge retain any culinary value.’
- ‘Although it has value as a game fish, it is outclassed by a far larger member of the genus, the muskellunge (maskinonge in Canada), E. masquinongy, of which the principal subspecies inhabits the Great Lakes region.’
Late 18th century: based on Ojibwa, ‘great fish’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.