Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large pike that occurs only in the Great Lakes region of North America.Also called maskinonge
- ‘A tiger muskie is a hybrid between a muskellunge and a northern pike.’
- ‘Although it has value as a game fish, it is outclassed by a far larger member of the genus, the muskellunge (maskinonge in Canada), E. masquinongy, of which the principal subspecies inhabits the Great Lakes region.’
- ‘Predatory fish in the ecozone include the lake sturgeon, brook trout, lake trout, northern pike, muskellunge, largemouth bass, sauger, and walleye.’
- ‘Their close relative, the muskellunge, have scales covering only the upper half of their cheek and gill covers.’
- ‘Of the six types of pike found, only northern pike and muskellunge retain any culinary value.’
Late 18th century: based on Ojibwa, ‘great fish’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.