Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large pike that occurs only in the Great Lakes region of North America.Also called maskinonge
- ‘Of the six types of pike found, only northern pike and muskellunge retain any culinary value.’
- ‘Their close relative, the muskellunge, have scales covering only the upper half of their cheek and gill covers.’
- ‘Predatory fish in the ecozone include the lake sturgeon, brook trout, lake trout, northern pike, muskellunge, largemouth bass, sauger, and walleye.’
- ‘Although it has value as a game fish, it is outclassed by a far larger member of the genus, the muskellunge (maskinonge in Canada), E. masquinongy, of which the principal subspecies inhabits the Great Lakes region.’
- ‘A tiger muskie is a hybrid between a muskellunge and a northern pike.’
Late 18th century: based on Ojibwa, great fish.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.