Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A period of reflection or thought.‘his musings were interrupted by the sound of the telephone’
meditation, thinking, contemplation, deliberation, pondering, reflection, rumination, cogitation, introspection, daydreaming, dreaming, reverie, brown study, abstraction, preoccupation, brooding, wool-gatheringcerebrationView synonyms
- ‘At first, his musings on time appear to be merely intellectual topiary to fill out a slim story.’
- ‘In particular, the ruminative musings on anthropocentricity are virtually absent.’
- ‘Perhaps I could add some philosophical musings about the human condition.’
- ‘We are deluged with trivial information and pointless musings which strain the patience to breaking point.’
- ‘Charlie's first column appears next week and the diary awaits his musings with interest.’
- ‘Slipstream is all about an old man's musings on life, death and God.’
- ‘I decided to lie down, relax, ponder the most recent musings of life, and try to nap.’
- ‘There are some blogs that you return to again and again, not just to read the latest entry but to browse the archive of past musings.’
- ‘A secret place to write down your thoughts and inner musings or just somewhere to record what you did each day.’
- ‘These musings will soon give way to the real purpose of their visits here: to report next Thursday's result.’
- ‘And on that note I shall end this quick jaunt through the mangled musings of a multitude of minds.’
- ‘However, I found myself both laughing at her recent musings, agreeing with some and hating others.’
- ‘Enough of this pseudo-intellectual posturing, these pretentious literary musings!’
- ‘Trust me, it's for you own good that you never read these confused musings.’
- ‘It's encouraging and affirming to be told you might be interested in your own writings and musings.’
- ‘Partly this reflects their monopoly of parish discussions, which means their musings go unchallenged.’
- ‘We await with bated breath your musings on other complicated hygiene issues.’
- ‘It's a combination of these memories and Morton's reflective musings that fill these pages.’
- ‘You can spend week after week pumping your most intimate musings into the ether, and nothing comes back.’
- ‘To the more sceptical listener, some of his musings may seem a little woolly.’
Characterized by reflection or deep thought.‘the sad musing gaze’
- ‘For all its casual, musing style, this is an ambitious book.’
- ‘She brings a deep musing regret to her recital of a sad poem about true love untimely slain, how it will never rise from the grave again.’
- ‘They could not shirk their duty; they could not afford the luxury of self-doubt or introspective musing.’
- ‘Women beware women is one of the messages of this thought-provoking book, which combines dramatic events with weighty chunks of philosophical musing.’
- ‘I could send you an advance version of the book, and you could do a review, a related article, or a musing right here.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.