One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A saw, typically held between the knees and played with a bow like a cello, the note varying with the degree of bending of the blade.
- ‘Fat, low, brassy blues, cynical lyric-driven ballads, a minor key waltz on a musical saw, jazz, rock, blues, country - the whole album is a love song to music.’
- ‘On their latest album, you will hear guitar, banjo, piano, musical saw, accordion, autoharp, and melodica as well as a mismatched array of mostly live cymbals and drums.’
- ‘The musical saw numbers are particularly striking.’
- ‘Just about the best of the great cities emerging in the ‘new’ EU, it has unblemished historical buildings, music - from solo musical saws to full-throttle dance - great grub and beer.’
- ‘In a professional manner and with gentle humour, he guided us skillfully through the history, and the technical and practical requirements of playing a musical saw.’
- ‘You don't often get to hear a didgeridoo, cello, organ and musical saw in the same piece of music, but if that intrigues you, here's your chance.’
- ‘Steel and acoustic guitars, fiddles, banjo, piano, accordion, harmonica, brass and upright bass create a bulbous, classic sound haunted by the quivers of musical saws and other alien devices.’
- ‘It's actually one of their most solid, cohesive releases, immediately illustrating that the band's utilization of theremin, marimba, banjo, musical saw, and bass clarinet was never a gimmick, but rather a means to an end.’
- ‘The four core members eventually began adding about one musician a month, providing musical saw, sousaphone, viola, Theremin and other instruments until there were 14 players.’
- ‘I've come to know the sounds of her musical saw from a distance, and they fill me with dread.’
- ‘Like the musical saw, the er-hu is best suited to the long vocal sounding line, however in a recent concert I heard him cut lose on his high speed chops which included a wild effect of horses on the gallop.’
- ‘In the 1920s and 1930s, it caught on like wildfire, and with the mass production of speciality musical saws, sales of 30,000 per year were not uncommon.’
- ‘A professional musical saw is typically 28 ‘long.’’
- ‘Thus the musical saw has an equal right to inclusion in the gallery as the cor anglais.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.