One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small box which plays a tune when the lid is opened.
- ‘He gave me little presents like glass figurines, flower combs, musical boxes, and the likes.’
- ‘The main rhythmic impetus is provided by a looped fragment, possibly sourced from a musical box.’
- ‘On one of the tables, he noticed a beautifully-crafted musical box placed next to a set of old leather bound books.’
- ‘In the final scene, he absently opens a musical box.’
- ‘I was surprised to learn the the Victorians had a sense of humour: they created a novelty bustle for Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee which contained a musical box and played God Save the Queen when the wearer sat down!’
- ‘As a toddler I got one of those wind-up musical boxes that played ‘Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head’, this has therefore, given the fact that I had a relatively happy childhood, ended up as one of those songs I love and which makes me smile.’
- ‘Another musical box with cylinder and comb action reached £1, 250.’
- ‘But a musician is not a musical box, he is a human being; he must always have something to say.’
- ‘The exhibition of instruments, ranging from tiny musical boxes to a huge Wurlitzer cinema organ, will be enhanced by the grant, which has been made available by the Heritage Lottery Fund.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.