One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small box which plays a tune when the lid is opened.
- ‘The exhibition of instruments, ranging from tiny musical boxes to a huge Wurlitzer cinema organ, will be enhanced by the grant, which has been made available by the Heritage Lottery Fund.’
- ‘As a toddler I got one of those wind-up musical boxes that played ‘Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head’, this has therefore, given the fact that I had a relatively happy childhood, ended up as one of those songs I love and which makes me smile.’
- ‘But a musician is not a musical box, he is a human being; he must always have something to say.’
- ‘The main rhythmic impetus is provided by a looped fragment, possibly sourced from a musical box.’
- ‘In the final scene, he absently opens a musical box.’
- ‘On one of the tables, he noticed a beautifully-crafted musical box placed next to a set of old leather bound books.’
- ‘I was surprised to learn the the Victorians had a sense of humour: they created a novelty bustle for Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee which contained a musical box and played God Save the Queen when the wearer sat down!’
- ‘Another musical box with cylinder and comb action reached £1, 250.’
- ‘He gave me little presents like glass figurines, flower combs, musical boxes, and the likes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.