Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An opera whose structure is governed by considerations of dramatic effectiveness, rather than by the convention of having a series of formal arias.‘‘Aida’ is a music drama, not a series of highlights’[mass noun] ‘Wagner represented music drama as a harmonious union of music and poetry’
- ‘It's what transformed the Winterreise of Franz Schubert from a song recital to a true music drama and an avant-gardist spectacle.’
- ‘The urge to turn Schubert's Winterreise into a staged music drama is apparently irresistible, considering how many attempts have been made in recent years.’
- ‘Martin comes up with stunning music for all this, as well as a new way of creating music drama.’
- ‘This summer Radio 3 will also launch Broken And Blue - a national competition inviting writers to create an original music drama for radio.’
- ‘Although he has Wagner credentials, this director is not an expert on Wagnerian music drama in the way that I am.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.