Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device that combines a radio and record or CD player.
- ‘The many great prizes include a colour T.V., Microwave Owen and music centre.’
- ‘Over night Hilary had pulled some strings so the room was decorated new, and complete with new furniture, TV, VCR and music centre.’
- ‘They had the latest in television technology, a slim video recorder, a good collection of pre-recorded cassettes, a music centre studded with dials and controls and a huge tower full of CDs and audio cassettes.’
- ‘Just ask the question, ‘How often have I sat down and listened to the expensive music centre that seemed so important to have?’’
- ‘She took out money raised in a March fair and used it to buy basics for the orphanage, and a music centre for the school.’
- ‘In the living-room there are pretty sparkly lamps, and a very large TV and music centre, both ugly.’
- ‘Two big TVs have been taken as well as two video recorders and music centres.’
- ‘The problem with using your PC as a music centre is that it's rarely in the place where you actually want to listen.’
- ‘A laptop can serve as portable cinema, internet cafe and music centre as well as a work platform. Or you may wish to keep your laptop solely as an on-the-road device that holds just the most current files.’
- ‘In the course of the night there will be a draw for a number of very attractive prizes including a colour TV, microwave and hi-fi music centre.’
- ‘Car bumpers, bed springs, a broken music centre, smashed chairs, soiled carpets and rotting food are just some of the waste piled high around the vandalised graves which date back to the 1700s.’
- ‘Not only this, but my friend Bob has gone and bought an old music center and is buying up old vinyl.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.